The key to your life is safe in my box

by Adam


The equipment is locked-out and tagged-out.  It is de-energised for your safety while you work on it.  The keys to unlock the isolation are locked safely in this box.  The box is locked by you (the person working on the equipment), as well as the person who made the isolation, and me, the requester and witness of the isolation.  You are safe. Unless someone cuts all the locks and energises the equipment!

Today, is a public holiday (All Saints Day), but we all still worked.  I’m trying to time things right – I know what time I need to get to the office, and how long I need to have breakfast and get ready in the morning, so I know what time I need to wake up by.  One thing that is variable, is the bus!  This morning, after breakfast, went to the bus stop with enough time to spare to get to the office on time… but I didn’t get on the directe ligne.  So it brought me on a scenic tour before dropping me off, and I was no longer ‘on-time’.

This morning, I continued P&ID conformity checks.  It took me a while to find the equipment, but thankfully, there were friendly and helpful people around, showing me the areas.  It’s like a maze of platforms and stairs.  I got lost trying to find my way down to the ground.  I had to ask someone how to get to the ground.  Sometimes, I’m following a pipe, and see that it goes to the level below.  I take the stairs down, and no, it goes to the wrong level.  Or I see an area I want to get to.  It’s not very straightforward, but I think that once I’ve got some experience, I can get to where I need to get to.

For lunch, I had fish, broccoli, potatoes, rice, and bread.  The broccoli was very soft, and the fish was very dry.  I didn’t finish all the rice and fish.  The bread is good, as usual!  I like having fish, but apparently, the chicken today was good.  So good that I saw someone have a second helping (having a second helping is rare here, mainly because they give you too much to begin with, and then you don’t want anymore anyway).


After lunch, there was a job starting.  The scaffolding wasn’t finished yet, and the alignment team were waiting.  I was wearing the dark wear-over safety glasses, they are tinted like sunglasses, so makes it comfortable to see outside.  I forgot that I had these on, until someone pointed out that I shouldn’t be wearing these inside this area.  So I changed to the clear safety glasses and he said “Now I can see your eyes, they are small!”.

This is a photo of the entrance to a confined space.  The yellow ducting provides ventilation.  I’ll learn more about confined spaces tomorrow when I have my training: espace confiné.



This is the bus ride back to camp.  It’s a very bumpy ride.  The water truck travels along here, spraying the road to minimise dust – since asbestos is in the ground here.  I never imagined that these buses were designed to handle such terrain!20121101_174508

When I got back, I saw the sun setting, so took a few photos to share.


I think a barber lives opposite from me.  It’s the second time I’ve seen him giving someone a haircut outside his room.  At least I know where I can go if I need a haircut!

Everyone here shakes hands when they see each other for the first time in the day.  Sometimes I forget to shake people’s hands.  I hope I’m not being cultural insensitive and offensive.  I forget, and when I remember, I think it might be too late.  As they say “better never, than late”.


Hamburger, veggies and rice for dinner.  I couldn’t finish the rice!  Ate too much again.  I forgot that everyone else was going to the Chinese diner.